Some Avs-Ducks postgame jottings, as I let the 20 ounces of Stouffer’s mac and cheese I just wolfed down settle. That’s been a longtime weakness of mine after games. I like to bake it ’til it’s crusty on the sides. I love it.
- So, who sits when J.T. Compher is cleared to play again, which coach Jared Bednar said would be by Thursday against the Wild? As Bednar said after the game tonight, “It’s a good problem to have” in trying to decide what to do. Maybe Compher doesn’t get back in the lineup right now? Maybe he’ll stay on the outside looking in? Compher has two goals and four points in 21 games this season. Logan O’Connor might draw the short straw on this – and I can already hear some of you screaming “nooo” on that. We’ll have to see what happens in the next couple of days.
- With Bo Byram expected back Thursday (and maybe Cale Makar, we’ll see), I’m sure Dan Renouf will either go back to the Eagles or go to the taxi squad. He did a fine job in his 10 games for the Avs. Yeah, he was a minus-3 tonight, though, so he’s likely the odd-man out. With Makar coming back soon probably, that will mean Greg Pateryn will be moved out of the lineup too. For me, one of the interesting questions is: if Conor Timmins is back anytime soon, would he take Jacob MacDonald’s spot on the depth chart? The way MacDonald is playing, I think it would be very tough to sit him. But as Bednar says, these are pleasant problems to have.
- Mikko Rantanen scored on a bank shot off Ryan Miller’s back tonight – from the exact same spot he did so last week against Miller too. I asked if he tried to do that, and he said “I’m not going to lie. I tried both times.”
- Bednar said the Avs will “reevaluate” the next time they need a goalie other than Philipp Grubauer.
- Colorado held Anaheim to 22 shots on goal, the 17th consecutive game the Avs have held their opponent to less than 30 shots. Colorado is outshooting its opponent by an average of 9.3 shots per game this season, ranked first in the NHL. In the month of March, the Avs have outshot their opponent by an average of 15.6 shots per game, also tops in the league in that span (Philadelphia ranks second at 8.1).
- I really like the way Andre Burakovsky is playing right now. He was in a bit of a lull for a while but he’s definitely been excellent of late. He’s got four points in the last two games and 19 in 24 games overall.
- A question I’ve been pondering of late: Should the Avs make a huge offer right now to Philipp Grubauer, to extend him longer-term? He can be an unrestricted free agent after this season, you know.
- What do you think on that?
Don't Miss a Post!
Avs Team and Cap Info
Links3 hours ago
Dater’s Daily: Bobby Ryan signs PTO with Wings, Coyotes bring back cool uniforms
Avs Training Camp16 hours ago
Takeaways from Avs 7-4 win over Sharks, and training camp schedule
Avs Prospects1 day ago
Takeaways from Avs rookie game with Ducks: Shane Bowers shines
Avs Prospects3 days ago
Guest post: Jesse Montano on Avs, from Arizona
Avs Training Camp3 days ago
Takeaways from Avs’ 4-0 rookie tourney loss to Kings
Colorado Avalanche6 days ago
How do we feel about the new Avalanche road uniforms?
Avs Training Camp1 week ago
Shane Bowers won’t be pushed around anymore | CHN+
Avs Prospects1 week ago
Is asking Alex Newhook to be a top-six forward too much, too soon?
Colorado Eagles1 week ago
Ex-Av, Colorado Eagles coach Brett Clark leaves team over Covid protocols
Avalanche offseason1 week ago