Matt Calvert underwent more evaluation today, and the news wasn’t great. The veteran depth forward will be lost “week to week”, coach Jared Bednar said.
Just more tough injury news for the likable Calvert. Bednar said on Thursday that Matt Calvert would get the night off because of some “nagging injuries”, but seemed to suggest they weren’t all that serious. Well, they were I guess. Let’s hope it’s not concussion-related. We’ve kind of counted him out before, only to see him come back. Let’s hope that happens again.
Bednar said defenseman Jacob MacDonald is questionable for tomorrow’s matinee game against Vegas at Ball Arena. He took a stick to the face at one point I remember last night, but also took a hard hit into the boards by Vegas behemoth forward Ryan Reaves. We’ll have to wait until game time tomorrow for lineup info. probably.
- I asked Philipp Grubauer about his contract situation today. I openly advocated for the Avs to sign him to an extension now rather than wait until after the season and potentially lose him as a UFA. Grubauer responded that there hasn’t been much talk toward a new deal this season, partially because of the hectic pace of the season. He indicated that he’d be receptive to an extension offer before this season is through, but that “my main focus is just stopping the next puck” and that “things will take care of itself.”
- Grubauer said he isn’t feeling tired/worn out from a pretty busy workload, partially because of the lesser travel in this condensed, division-only, baseball-style-series schedule. “I actually love the schedule”, he said, because it has a “good rhythm.”
- Lots of praise from Bednar today for Valeri Nichushkin’s play, and rightly so. Bednar said Nichushkin’s “length” is a huge asset, and that he has a “great stick.” He has been really good defensively of late and is hard on the forecheck. He’s been getting more scoring chances too. The guy is looking like a bargain again, even at $2.5 million.
- Hey, did you know this about a connection between Cale Makar and Logan O’Connor?
Logan O'Connor's family owns a clothing store in Calgary called "O'Connor's Menswear"
Cale Makar grew up in Calgary and played with Logan's younger brother, Owen, and says he knew the O'Connor family well.
Fun Fact: The O'Connor's gave him the suit he wore on his draft night.
— Scott MacDonald (@0ffScottFree) March 26, 2021
Here’s that suit, at the 39:58 mark:
- Avs are a -170 favorite to win outright tomorrow, at SuperBook Colorado – the BEST sportsbook out there.
- I would bet that Jonas Johansson will get the start Monday, in a makeup game, against Anaheim at Ball Arena.
- Interesting news nugget here: Carolina says it might trade one of their goalies by the April 12 deadline. They want some defensive help, preferably a right shot D. Keep an eye on this. (NHL.com)