Gotta say, I’m pretty surprised Ryan Reaves won’t get a hearing for this hit on Minnesota Wild veteran defenseman Ryan Suter in Game 7 last night:
Reaves gets two minutes for interference for this shove on Suter which sends him head first into the goalpost. Suter is down but remains on bench pic.twitter.com/qC0Spwx9N7
— NHL Safety Watch (@NHLSafetyWatch) May 29, 2021
Since when is shoving a guy from behind into a hard object, face first, not a suspendable action? Why does Ryan Reaves always seem to get away with stuff like this with the league? Where’s the consistency here? I ask about that consistency part, because Gabe Landeskog got suspended four games a few years ago for this shove from behind into a net against Calgary super-pest Matthew Tkachuk:
For all the fans (Colorado fans) who didn’t get to see the cross check.
Altitude network cut the feed before the replay. pic.twitter.com/vNhuJFJWzO
— FlamesNation (@FlamesNation) November 27, 2017
No, the hits by Landeskog and Reaves weren’t quite the same. Landy cross-checked Tkachuk in the neck and Tkachuk looked hurt from it. Reaves shoved a guy from behind. But are you telling me that wasn’t a super dangerous thing Reaves did? Yeah, he got a two-minute penalty, but nothing more? Really? Since when is putting a guy’s head into a hard iron pipe considered good for “player safety?”
OK then. Whatever.
- Still no word from Gary Bettman on Nazem Kadri’s appeal. The case was heard Thursday and we’re still waiting for his ruling. If Bettman upholds the eight-game suspension (or adds to it, as is his power) Kadri can appeal to a neutral arbitrator, Shyam Das.
- Steve Simmons says it was the “same old Leafs” as Toronto stumbled badly in a chance to sweep the leg on the Montreal Canadiens in Game 5. (Toronto Sun)
- While the Pittsburgh Penguins season has come to a close, it’s certainly difficult to overlook just what a big impact Jeff Carter made after arriving at the NHL trade deadline. (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
- Joel Quenneville reflects on the just-concluded Panthers season (Florida Hockey Now)
- Will the Sharks buy out goalie Martin Jones? (San Jose Hockey Now)
- Why hasn’t the rest of the Avs-Vegas schedule, beyond Game 1, been released yet? No idea, but we’d like to know, especially for those of us trying to make travel plans. Speaking of travel? Vegas ain’t gonna be cheap next week. Is that enough of a pitch for the Avalanche Travel Tip Jar, lol? But seriously, thanks for anything. The Jar is here.