Good Tuesday to all. We’re a third of the way through August, historically the slowest month of all for hockey fans. But, hey, I still got some links for you, starting with what’s going on with Erik Johnson:
- First off, I don’t follow Avs players on social media. Maybe I should, but it’s just not my bag. But someone always sends me something about Avs players on social media. And, here’s one that I thought was worth posting:
- That’s something Erik Johnson posted on his Instagram feed yesterday, while working out at Family Sports Center. The caption was how he was essentially counting the days ’til training camp. Good to see.
- 2021 Avs first-round pick Oskar Olausson may play for the Barrie Colts in the OHL this season. The Colts drafted Olausson in the first round of the OHL draft, but he could play in Sweden this season still instead. The Colts, as this story says, are trying to “talk” him into playing in Barrie this season (Barrie 360)
- A sad story involving the son of the Minnesota Golden Gophers’ hockey coach (Star Tribune)
- A KHL team is trying to lure away Minnesota Wild and reigning Calder Trophy winner Kirill Kaprizov (Daily Faceoff)
- My take on that: it’s just posturing. He’ll sign with the Wild. Or, hey, go play in the KHL then, where nobody will ever see you play again.
- Pittsburgh Hockey Now: Before Penguins fans knew Mario, had Sidney, or even Lord Stanley, they had Mike Lange
- Philly: Carter Hart got a bridge deal–a healthy payday, but a bridge deal. Now the Flyers must hope he rebounds from a disastrous 2020-21.
- Washington: The Washington Capitals let Ilya Samsonov go via the expansion draft, then reacquired him. Now they’ve also given him a low-cost “show me” bridge deal to be their starting goalie
- NY Post: The New York Rangers decided Igor Shesterkin is their goalie of now and the future, and they dished a big-time contract to Igor.
- Detroit: The five BEST free agent signings in Detroit Red Wings history. Yeah, there have been a few–remember the Hall of Fame team? Bob Duff rattles off his top five.
- Vancouver: A real and honest look at the Seattle Kraken. Are they a true Canucks rival yet? Rob Simpson breaks down the roster like few have and gives a pretty good picture of what to expect from Seattle.
- Yesterday was the 33rd anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky trade from Edmonton to LA. I actually remember where I was when the deal was announced, it was that big. I was in Cape Cod, working a summer job as a timeshare salesman, but watching CNN as it happened in the living room of a rented house not too far from the beach (TSN)
- With training camp coverage ramping up starting next month, this is a good time to offer you CHN fencesitters 20% off for a full year of Avs coverage on the site. Use the promo code word 5off in the checkout box here and the price will drop from $29.99 to $24.99 (Colorado Hockey Now subscription checkout)
Don't Miss a Post!
Betting with the Barbers
Avs Team and Cap Info
CHN+4 hours ago
A Top Prospect Trying to Work His Way Back, Alex Newhook Paying His Dues in Minors
Avs Film Room1 day ago
Avs Film Room: How Defensive Breakdowns Are Happening
Links1 day ago
Dater’s Daily: Panic in Montreal, Patrick Roy to rescue?, Covid cases ticking up
CHN+2 days ago
‘Hey, we’ve got 78 games left’ – Gabe Landeskog accentuates positive after latest Avs loss
Morning Skate Diary2 days ago
Jonas Johansson starts in goal for Avs tonight; Landeskog back
CHN+4 days ago
Dater Column: Already, this Avalanche season is feeling discombobulated
Colorado Avalanche1 week ago
Landeskog to have hearing, suspension likely *Updated
CHN+7 days ago
Elliotte Friedman: Avs called Sabres about Jack Eichel
Grades1 week ago
Avalanche player grades from win over Chicago; Kuemper stellar
Colorado Avalanche1 week ago