Happy Friday, happy Labor Day Weekend to all. Let’s do some hockey links, including one that features old Avs friend Jose Theodore.
- So, the NHL is going to the next Winter Olympics, in February. It was made official today (ESPN)
- For the Avs, that means some of their best players will keep playing for their respective countries, and the rest will get three weeks off. It means the schedule will be jam-packed with lots of back-to-back games, and the Avs have quite a few of them on the road. They’re going to be a tired team at times. But the break should refresh everyone’s batteries, and you know the players that keep playing are going to be excited and, hopefully, not too worn down.
- Obviously, this means the Avs’ top line will all be away at the Olympics. I think Cale Makar will play for Canada as well. Who knows, maybe Darcy Kuemper will be there as well.
- In a Spittin’ Chiclets podcast the other day, former Avs goalie Jose Theodore said his decision to leave the Avs for a slightly higher-paying free-agent contract with Washington was “the biggest regret of my career.” (Spittin’ Chiclets)
- Theodore said Joe Sakic was the best captain he ever played with.
- Sportsnet: The NHL laid down the law with unvaccinated players. Despite only 85% of NHL’ers getting the jab, the NHL rules for the coming season will suspend unvaccinated players without pay who test positive. The rules on the road for unvaccinated players are pretty strict, too.
- Boston: “When you get COVID, and your wife hates you for the first time.” How’s this for bad luck–Connor Clifton, in a deleted social media post, announced he contracted COVID on his honeymoon.
- The Arizona Coyotes have applied to build a new arena in Tempe, AZ, for seasons following this one. Good luck.
- We’re hiring:
I guess I should post this stuff on Indeed, but we're moving quickly:
National Hockey Now is hiring beat writers for Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton and Las Vegas.
Salary. Generous bonuses. Should already live there. Snappy uniforms not included. pic.twitter.com/JtmmFIdPfy
— Dan Kingerski (@TheDanKingerski) September 3, 2021
- Follow Dan and DM him for more info on how to apply. You can also DM me as well, as I’ll likely have a pretty good say in who gets hired.
- USA Hockey named its Olympic assistant coaching staff (Hockey News)
- One man’s opinion on what the Canadian roster will look like (Hockey News)
- Jonathan Huberdeau immortalized as a Funko Pop (Florida Hockey Now)
- What will ESPN’s coverage of the NHL look like this season? (Boston Globe)