Monday morning – never my favorite. Maybe not your favorite thing ever either. We enter the final week of August. This summer has gone fast. But that means hockey is getting closer. Let’s do some NHL notes, starting with the breakfast Bo Byram had the other day literally in the Stanley Cup:
— Philip Pritchard (@keeperofthecup) August 19, 2022
- That’s at least the second food item to have been consumed from the bowl of the Cup so far this summer. Jack Johnson’s kids ate ice cream from it earlier.
- Nathan MacKinnon visited some veterans with the Cup yesterday too, a day after his parade in Halifax.
— Philip Pritchard (@keeperofthecup) August 21, 2022
- More bad news regarding Carey Price and the Montreal Canadiens. Real bad (Montreal Hockey Now)
- Calgary native Cale Makar reached out to Nazem Kadri to offer any tips, insights, advice on his city (Calgary Hockey Now)
- The Bruins and David Pastrnak haven’t talked in a good while. No doubt “Pasta” saw the digits splashed around this summer on Johnny Gaudreau and Matthew Tkachuk. But the winger doesn’t seem worried about a deal with the Boston Bruins.
- It’s possible the career of Nicklas Backstrom in Washington is over (Washington Hockey Now)
- Stefen Rosner on the New York Islanders’ fairly miserable summer so far (NYI Hockey Now)
- I had coffee with Jake Schroeder yesterday. I can report he’s doing well and doing a lot of work for his non-profit, and spent a good amount of time in France recently.
- Happy retirement to Charlotte Grahame. She worked in Avalanche administration and the front office from Day 1. She did a lot of great things for the Avalanche in her time there.
- Sean Monahan’s legacy in Calgary was bigger than one might think (Calgary Hockey Now)
- The top 10 remaining UFAs after the Kadri signing (Hockey News)
- Examining Team USA’s goaltending as the Women’s Worlds start (TSN)