A hot, sunny Tuesday here in Thornton. Two more days left in August, then it’s September. Meaning, there’s hockey not too far away. Let’s do some around-the-horn NHL notes and whatnot, starting with one on Jack Eichel:
- The star forward, whose reputation has taken a hit the last couple years over contract stuff and his teams’ lack of performance, is promising a big year in Vegas this time. (NHL.com)
- Six years ago, when I was the “national” hockey columnist at Bleacher Report, I went to North Chelmsford, Mass., to do a story on the young Jack Eichel, then with the Buffalo Sabres. I never actually talked to Eichel there, or his parents, but I did have one hell of a good eggs benedict breakfast (Bleacher Report)
- As the story shows, I later caught up with Eichel in Arizona. He’s not a bad guy, but his career hasn’t gone the way he’d hoped. Yet, I do think he’ll have a very strong year with the Golden Knights.
- Bleacher Report doesn’t do a lot of original reporting anymore, but I’ll always be a Bleacher Report guy and grateful to them. They gave me two years of regular work with a good salary, and I learned a TON about how stories “sell” online. It’s definitely helped me here at Colorado Hockey Now, which gets more traffic covering one team than some sites that cover multiple teams.
- In a move that surprises me some, the Penguins today extended the contract of coach Mike Sullivan for three years. Dan Kingerski has all the deets (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
- Sullivan is a hell of a coach, with two Cup rings on his fingers to prove it. I just wonder if things are, well, just a little too stale with the Penguins at this point. It seems like they’re defiantly trying to show that Father Time doesn’t matter so much with their roster.
- Vegas, by the way, acquired a new goalie yesterday (Vegas Hockey Now)
- Detroit Hockey Now: Former Red Wings great and Russian loyalist Slava Fetisov hints that Russia may sue the IIHF.
- Why haven’t the Montreal Canadiens extended the contract of Cole Caulfield yet? (Montreal Hockey Now)
- Shawn Thornton is high on the Bruins’ chances this season (Boston Hockey Now)
- The new NHL 23 video game looks interesting (Washington Hockey Now)
- There’s a new figurine of Nathan MacKinnon that sells for about 56 bucks (Amazon)
Don't Miss a Post!
Avs Team and Cap Info
CHN+5 hours ago
How Miles Wood Earned The Staff’s Trust To Kill Penalties (+)
Evan's Daily6 hours ago
Evan’s NHL Daily: Malinski Recalled, Early Season Trade Board
Colorado Avalanche1 day ago
Plus/Minus: Where The Avalanche Stand At The Quarter Mark
Evan's Daily1 day ago
Evan’s Daily: Wild NHL News Day, Kane Signs, Perry Waived
CHN+2 days ago
Avalanche Turning Point: Dominant Lightning Powerplay Shut Down (+)
Colorado Avalanche1 week ago
Avalanche Overcome Questionable Ejection, Beat Canucks 5-2
Colorado Avalanche1 week ago
Avalanche Locker Room: Tufte’s Thanksgiving Plans Change? Bednar Talks Manson Ejection
avalanche news6 days ago
Sam Girard Enters NHL/NHLPA Player Assistance Program
Evan's Daily6 days ago
Evan’s NHL Daily: Absurd Cale Makar Stats, Oilers Forced Into Trade?
Colorado Avalanche5 days ago