Merry Monday to all. Cool, crisp autumn day on tap here in lovely Colorado. Let’s talk some hockey. I was thinking last night that I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen a Colorado Avalanche training camp that has as much real competition for one or two depth forward spots as this one, with an interesting mix of candidates.
- You’ve got Anton Blidh, Martin Kaut, Shane Bowers, Jayson Megna, Ben Meyers and Lukas Sedlak all competing for one-to-three opening-night jobs right now – depending on the health statuses of currently injured regulars Gabe Landeskog and Darren Helm. When you add in Kurtis MacDermid as a guy who probably would play more at forward than at defense in the regular season, that ups the competition even more. I can make a case for all those guys deserving a spot on the opening roster. It’s a fierce competition, and these next couple of preseason games with the Dallas Stars are big for guys like them.
- Colorado Avalanche practice this morning, then a group of players will board a plane for Dallas to play the Stars tonight (no TV).
- Here’s a look at the alternate mask Alexandar Georgiev will wear this season:
— Brennan Vogt (@brennan_vogt) October 2, 2022
- The Avalanche have until opening night or so to submit the full list of names who will be engraved on the Stanley Cup. Stay tuned.
- I chatted some with new GM Chris MacFarland yesterday at practice. He’s very dialed in, a smart guy. Also chatted with new assistant GM Kevin McDonald. I’ve got some New England ties with him, so I like hearing his wicked Mass. accent.
- McDonald played a huge part in developing players in the Blues organization, including the one that won the Cup in 2019.
- Looking around the league…
- What job would Sidney Crosby have taken if he hadn’t been the greatest hockey player of his generation? (NHL.com)
- Attention, fantasy hockey players: Taylor Hall is going to miss some potentially significant time with the Bruins (Boston Hockey Now)
- A look at all the potential contract problems Vegas will have next summer (Vegas Hockey Now)
- A look at the camp battles with the Capitals (Washington Hockey Now)
- A look at the likely final roster for the Flames (Calgary Hockey Now)
- TV recommendation: the new six-hour Ken Burns documentary called “The U.S. and the Holocaust.”
- Taking stock of the Red Wings so far this preseason (Detroit Hockey Now)
- Good friends off the ice, Kieffer Bellows and Oliver Wahlstrom are in a battle for the final forward spot on the Islanders. New York Islanders
- Islanders goalie and old friend Semyon Varlamov on the concepts behind his fancy new mask (NYI Hockey Now)