Well, I must say, that was probably the most unique birthday I’ve ever had yesterday. I gotta say, what happened yesterday fired me up a bit and I made a rare political tweet. No, I didn’t like what I saw, and said so. We’ve talked a bit about “stick to sports” stuff before, and that’s how I generally see things too in covering the Avs. But, hey, we’re all human. Seeing your nation’s capitol being trashed by a bunch of thugs wasn’t a fun thing. Oh, and people died because of it.
But it’s back to hockey only now, and let’s keep it that way, shall we? Let’s do some around-the-horn links:
- The Avs had a day off today. Let’s hope any of the “Unfit Five” can be back on the ice by this weekend. I keep hearing cautious optimism that at least some will be back before opening night, on Wednesday. But, obviously, medical information is difficult to get in these times.
- Bo Byram won’t join the team until Friday. Then, he has seven days of quarantine before he can be on the ice with the boys. He also must test negative for Covid-19 for four consecutive tests.
- While us media haven’t been able to see any of training camp so far, the word I hear is that Conor Timmins has looked very good so far. I expect him, Byram and Dennis Gilbert to be the three defensemen on the taxi squad. That’s my prediction anyway. I expect Byram to play a game or two on that four-game L.A.-Anaheim trip Jan. 18-24. which Colorado Hockey Now will be there.
- Tuukka Rask opened up about what happened with his family that caused him to leave the Toronto bubble and NHL postseason. He also addressed his future in Boston (Boston Hockey Now).
- Sticking in the East, Zdeno Chara is pumped to be a Capital and play with Ovechkin (Sportsnet)
- The Florida Panthers will allow fans in the stands this season. Here’s the full story (Florida Hockey Now)
- Interesting piece where former trouble-maker Andrew Shaw opens up about concussions and life after hockey where things have taken a good turn for him post-playing career. (NBC Sports Chicago)
- Zach Parise wanted the Wild’s captaincy, but lost out to Jared Spurgeon (Star Tribune)
- Five things the LA Kings must do to make the playoffs (LA Times)
- The Coyotes will allow some fans in the building (AZ Central)
- The Avs may be playing against Team USA World Junior hero Trevor Zegras in a couple weeks (Orange County Register)