There is a well-documented thing, where somehow Lou Lamoriello has gotten signings to stay quiet, with no leaks to the media that anything happened. As the days drag by with Nazem Kadri still unsigned, more people are wondering if Lamoriello’s New York Islanders might not already have a deal cooked up with Kadri.
If Lou and/or any other NHL GM is trying to clear cap space to afford Kadri, they’re doing a poor job of it. We’re almost two full weeks into free agency, and Kadri remains unsigned. For me, the most surprising aspect of this story so far is how impressively quiet everybody has been. No matter who you talk to, they say they don’t know anything.
So, the wait continues.
- I think Kadri will take a longer-term, bigger-money deal elsewhere than what he can get in Colorado. But I don’t count out ANYTHING from happening with the Avalanche.
- And, yes, I think Paul Stastny is still a possibility to come back.
- Matthew Tkachuk sounds SO happy to be in Florida now, and NOT in Calgary (Florida Hockey Now)
- TSN Video: Hockey Canada plans to address “toxic” culture before its next hearing, prior to the next round of parliamentary hearings.
- Good story here on how the Capitals were able to convince Darcy Kuemper to sign with them (Washington Hockey Now)
- I think Kuemper would have had a better second year in Denver than he had in the first. I think he was really comfortable with the team by the end, and would have flourished more this coming year. Ironically, I don’t think he will flourish as much in Washington as he would have here.
- Jake Virtanen, former Canuck, found not guilty of sexual assault (Hockey News)
- More on why good guy Eddie Olczyk left Chicago to be the Kraken’s main TV analyst (Seattle Times)
- VGK: How will the Vegas Golden Knights deal with their salary cap space going forward?
- SJS: Will new San Jose Sharks head coach David Quinn micromanage the Sharks as he reportedly did the New York Rangers?
- Thanks for the many kind words after I opened up a little yesterday about some personal stuff. One day at a time, that’s it. I’ll be ok.
- Hey, guess who is the favorite to win the next Stanley Cup? (SuperBook Colorado)
- Jack Johnson remains sitting around in Columbus, his off-season home, wondering when/if he might get a new offer to stay with the Avalanche. The Kadri situation remains the sticking point.
- The Islanders reportedly will bring back the Gorton’s Fisherman logo from 27 years ago as a third jersey this year. Which begs the question: Why? (NYI Hockey Hockey Now)