Avs Training Camp
Dater’s Daily: What To Make Of Latest Avalanche Cuts, Duchene 5-Point Game
A good Saturday to all. Thanks for letting me have a few relative days off, while in Germany. That was quite a trip. I’ve lost about 40 pounds in the last 18 months, but think I gained about 10 back on that trip, no joke. Oktoberfest is just…unbelievable. I urge everyone, if they can, to experience it once. There’s a direct flight to Munich from Denver, and the fares are pretty good sometimes….Let’s get the day started with some Avalanche and NHL notes and links, etc, etc.
- I’ll have to admit, I was surprised at how quickly Oskar Olausson was cut by the Avalanche and sent to the Colorado Eagles. Some of us thought he had a real chance at making the big club out of camp, but it didn’t happen. The word I hear on the first-round pick from last year is that he has to really work on his play away from the puck, his speed and his strength. So, while I’m surprised he was sent down so quick, he’s still very young and needs more natural development time. I don’t think this is necessarily a “setback” to his career, but more like an early wake-up call. Let’s see how he does with the Eagles and go from there.
- The fact that Olausson and Sampo Ranta were sent down already is an early “win” for Martin Kaut, who has survived the cuts so far. I’m going to take a closer look at him today at practice and will report back.
- The fact that Ranta made the club out of camp last year and was an early cut? That probably could be construed as something of a setback. But, again, he’s very young too. It takes time for most players not named Nathan MacKinnon or Cale Makar.
- As you may know already, Jonas Johansson was claimed on waivers by Arizona. This is now the second time JoJo has departed the Avalanche.
- That bad performance by Alexandar Georgiev in Vegas? I wouldn’t worry too much. The Avalanche brought pretty much an AHL team only to that game.
- Looking around the league, it sounds like talks are heating up between the Bruins and David Pastrnak (Boston Hockey Now)
- The Florida Panthers are trying something different after goals this season, at home. Individual goal songs (Florida Hockey Now)
- Sounds like Sonny Milano might have trouble making the Flames off his PTO (Calgary Hockey Now)
- Jake Allen signed an extension with the Canadiens (Montreal Hockey Now)
- Matt Duchene had a five-point preseason game (NHL.com)
Don't Miss a Post!
Avs Team and Cap Info
Colorado Avalanche48 mins ago
Avalanche Locker Room: Helm, Bednar Unhappy with Second Period Penalty Call
Colorado Avalanche1 hour ago
Avalanche Fail in Opportunity to Take First Place, Fall 5-2 to Penguins
Colorado Avalanche8 hours ago
Avalanche vs. Penguins, Game 70: Lines, Notes & How to Watch
Colorado Avalanche11 hours ago
Avalanche Skate: Darren Helm Returns to Lineup, Makar Progressing
Colorado Avalanche14 hours ago
Who Else? Cale Makar Voted Best Defenseman by NHL Players
Colorado Avalanche1 week ago
WATCH: Landeskog Moving Better, Johnson Pushing the Pace
Colorado Avalanche4 days ago
Five Thoughts for the Final 14 Avalanche Games
Colorado Avalanche5 days ago
How Cale Makar Has Evolved Following Historic Season
Colorado Avalanche2 days ago
Avalanche Morning Skate: Cale Makar OUT, Injury Updates Galore
Colorado Avalanche1 week ago