LOS ANGELES – Some jottings as I sit here at the gate of Frontier flight 404, LA to Denver. Let’s hope that 404 number isn’t some kind of jinx eh?
Lightest I’ve seen it at LAX like, maybe, ever. Lots of masks, lots of Purell stations. Thing is, people here don’t seem the slightest bit “worried” about the coronavirus. Kind of amazing to me that we’re all allowed to congregate here at an international AIRPORT, but major pro sports teams – including the Avalanche – won’t let me within 6-8 feet of a player right now.
It’s a massive overreaction IN MY OPINION, but I’m also not a doctor.
So, Jared Bednar on his radio show this morning – taped in Los Angeles, because the team stayed overnight, something it rarely does – said nothing new about Nathan MacKinnon. Said he’ll be “re-evaluated” back in Denver.
We probably won’t get any state-sponsored media update until tomorrow, but if I hear anything I’ll pass it along…
Some other news around the league:
- The San Jose Sharks will need to figure out how to play either outside of San Jose or in front of no fans for their remaining three home games in March (NHL.com)
- I think we’ll see at least one or two of the previously injured guys return by this weekend, or by early next week at the latest. I would put Nazem Kadri and Cale Makar at the head of that list.
- The German pro league has canceled the rest of its season because of, you guessed it (The Hockey News)
- Interesting debate about whether the NHL is overreacting to the coronavirus, by two media guys (Hockey News)
- Could Bo Byram realistically make the Avs next season? (Hockey News)
- Should the NHL playoffs be changed because of, you know what? (ESPN)
THREE THINGS I THINK
- I think ordering a Domino’s pizza at 12:30 a.m. last night was a mistake.
- I think Napa Valley is the most breathtaking place I’ve pretty much ever seen (saw some of it the other day when we were in San Jose)
- I think that final game of the regular season between the Avs and Blues is going to be real meaningful.