Good Thursday to you all. It’s about as hot as I can ever remember in Denver – and we’re not even officially into summer yet. Let’s do some hockey notes and links, starting with the yearly snub of Joe Sakic.
Sakic, again, was not a finalist for the GM of the year award. Marc Bergevin (Montreal), Bill Zito (Florida) and Lou Lamoriello (Islanders) are the finalists.
I mean, it’s become something of a farce by now, that Sakic has yet to be a finalist for this award the last few years. I doubt Sakic cares that much, but it’s a joke.
- Are the Flyer the “best” destination for disgruntled Buffalo forward Jack Eichel? (Philly Hockey Now}
- Interesting piece from Sheng Peng where he talks with three NHL scouts about some upcoming NHL free agents, including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and David Krejci among others. (San Jose Hockey Now)
- Even against the Avs, Vegas has had too many slow starts for their liking. The had another one last night and couldn’t come back this time (Vegas Hockey Now)
- Why Gerard Gallant got the Rangers job (NY Post)
- Is Paul Maurice still the man for the job in Winnipeg? (Hockey News)
- As I noted on Twitter the other day, I’m hearing Erik Johnson will waive his no-move clause so the Avs don’t have to protect him in the expansion draft with Seattle.
- I’d love to see Brandon Saad re-signed. I thought he added a lot to the team this year. But unless he’s willing to take a bit of a hometown discount – and maybe more than just a bit – I don’t see him coming back.
- Kevin Allen says the Red Wings don’t have much room for any potential free agents (Detroit Hockey Now)
- Rod Brind’Amour’s three-year extension today to stay with Carolina takes him out of the running for the Seattle job, something some thought might happen (Seattle Times)
- I think Rick Tocchet will get the Seattle job, but that’s just my personal hunch, nothing more.
- Kevin Hodgson wins the Willie O’Ree Community Hero Award. (NHL)
- J.J. Watt on his connection to Cole Caufield and playing hockey growing up. (Sportsnet)
- My pick for the Islanders-Lightning Game 3 tonight (Bookies.com)