Happy Thursday. Let’s do some hockey links and news and notes, starting with something I just learned about Nazem Kadri:
- His second appeal hearing on his eight-game suspension will be Friday morning at 9 a.m. mountain, via Zoom. “Neutral discipline arbitrator” Shyam Das will hear the appeal. His ruling on the matter will be binding for both sides. Gary Bettman and the NHL upheld the original eight-game suspension, earlier this week. Das has reduced suspensions before, including a Tom Wilson 20-game suspension to 14 games. You can read Das’ decision on that matter here.
- I think Das will shave a game or two off the suspension, but we’ll see. Kadri has served four of the eight games so far, all Avs wins.
- Good news: IF the Avs and Nuggets advance to their respective next playoff rounds, Ball Arena will be at 100 percent capacity. You’ll still have to wear a mask in the building, though. Avs games will actually be at only 95-percent of its capable capacity, as there still need to be some off-limits areas – like right behind the benches – for safety reasons.
- Could the Detroit Red Wings be a sleeper in the Seth Jones sweepstakes as it feels like the Columbus Blue Jackets have no choice but to trade him? Kevin Allen seems to think so. (Detroit Hockey Now)
- I hope you all check out the new Detroit Hockey Now. It’s the latest site in our Hockey Now family, and Kevin Allen and Bob Duff are leading the coverage. Kevin was at USA Today as the lead hockey writer for 33 years and Bob covered the NHL for years with the Windsor Star.
- The fourth line is getting the job done again for the Islanders in the second round with Casey Cizikas scoring a big overtime goal in Game 2. (NYI Hockey Now)
- Of the disappointing Maple Leafs, Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner have no answers for their first-round loss. (TSN)
- So what are the Buffalo Sabres going to do now that they’ve been awarded the No. 1 overall pick in the NHL Draft? (Buffalo News)
- Bill Zito wants Florida Panther players to be proud Panthers (Florida Hockey Now)
- Can you believe I’ve never seen “Scarface”, until today? Watched it all morning. Riveting.
- Brian De Palma directed the film, I see. My old man, Alan Dater, did the sound on a Brian De Palma/Robert De Niro movie from the early 1970s.
- Special thanks here to the following people for their recent donations to the Avalanche Travel Tip Jar: Gary Echert, Logan Lloyd, John Campanella, Trevor Stephens, Lorene Schmitz, Jim Strohmeier, David McKinnis and a couple others who don’t want to be named. You help make covering the Avs on the road easier, and I can deliver more coverage because of you. Thanks. 95 cents of every dollar goes to covering the Avs on the road, five cents goes to the Thornton Food Bank. The Tip Jar is always open.
Don't Miss a Post!
Avs Team and Cap Info
Links2 hours ago
Sunday Notes: NHL Draft Might Be Boring For Avalanche Fans
Avalanche offseason1 day ago
Guest Column: New Hampshire’s Biggest Avalanche Fan On His Parade Experience
Avalanche offseason2 days ago
How To Get That “Too Many Men” T-Shirt Worn By Nazem Kadri
Avalanche offseason3 days ago
Bo Byram Almost Kicked Out Of His Own Parade
Colorado Avalanche3 days ago
Jared Bednar Speech One For The Ages
Stanley Cup Final1 week ago
Jared Bednar Rebuts Jon Cooper ‘Too Many Men’ Charge
CHN+3 days ago
DATER: Handicapping Who Stays, Who Goes From Avalanche UFA List (+)
CHN+7 days ago
For Joe and Debbie Sakic, Winning Never Gets Old (+)
Stanley Cup Final7 days ago
DATER: Game 6 Avalanche Thoughts, Observations, Exclamations
Colorado Avalanche3 days ago