Thirteen wins in a row for the Florida Panthers. A four-point lead now on the Colorado Avalanche for most in the league (120-116). Both teams play tonight, and both have four games to play. So long Presidents’ Trophy?
Is that a good thing though? After all, there is a certain team in Denver that won it last year, and how did that turn out? In fact, the last eight Presidents’ Trophy winners all have one thing in common: none of them won the Stanley Cup.
The last team to win the Cup and the Presidents’ Trophy in the same season was Chicago, in the lockout-shortened 2013 season. The last team to win it in a full season, along with the Cup: Detroit in 2007-08. So, yeah, maybe this is a real good thing that the Avs now likely will not win it, despite Jared Bednar saying recently it was a goal of the team.
Let’s do those hockey links:
- Our buddy at Detroit Hockey Now, Kevin Allen, had some harsh critiques and a dose of sarcasm for the flatlining Detroit Red Wings.
- Nice tribute to Guy Lafleur by NY Post scribe Larry Brooks (NY Post)
- Man, Lafleur was something He terrorized me as a kid, being a big Bruins fan. He killed the Bruins, squashed all our dreams. But somehow you didn’t quite mind with him. You just knew you had no chance. He was just too cool.
- What’s going on with Robin Lehner and the Vegas Golden Knights? Nobody seems to know. We’ll find out more tonight (Vegas Hockey Now)
- You’re going to have to be a very wealthy person to see the Arizona Coyotes play at home next season (Hockey News)
- Vancouver Hockey Now: A late charge to make the playoffs looks like it will come up short. Ya can’t lose games in the final week. It’s over. A hard-fought loss to Calgary put a stake in Jim Rutherford’s Vancouver Canucks.
- The Capitals trail the Penguins by two points but didn’t play on Saturday. Ilya Samsonov has been pretty good lately–has he claimed the No. 1 job? Washington Capitals analysis.
- Roman Josi is a -10 in the last eight games. Just sayin’.
- Dylan Sikura had a hat trick last night and Kiefer Sherwood extended his AHL-best point streak to 14 games, as the Colorado Eagles finished up their regular season last night. On to the playoffs (Eagles)